users@glassfish.java.net

Re: RE: GlassFish 2.1.1 - Application client jar is ...

From: <forums_at_java.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 04:42:17 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Tim, [quote=tjquinn] Here is one possible cause. Back in the 2.x days, the
app client JAR was generated asynchronously if possible, to allow the
deployment itself to be reported as completed more quickly so the admin user
could continue working sooner. It's possible that the async generation of the
app client JAR has not completed by the time the system is trying to sign the
JAR. IIRC the app client JAR generation is synchronous if the deploy command
specifies "--retrieve localdir" so you might try that - even though you do
not really need the retrieved JAR itself - and see if that helps. Let us
know. [/quote] Option *--retrieve did the trick*. You are the hero of the day
of our department! :) So hmm.. seems that this behaviour is related to some
bug in the GlassFish 2.1.1 deployment process? Though we have commercial
support from Oracle I can live with the --retrieve option. Or should I file
this bug anyway? [quote=tjquinn] By the way, do you have plans to move to 3.x
soon? Deployment and client generation have changed moving from 2.x to 3.x
and this problem should not appear in 3.x. [/quote] Yes we plan to move to
3.x in 2013, probably in March or April. JWS in GF 3 has been improved a lot
and I like especially the jnlp template option. I miss that in GF 2.. We
already have a test system with the current 3.1.2.2 release and encountered
some class loading problems so far with our application. When we got
commercial support (around May this year) we asked whether we should use GF 3
instead of GF 2. Oracle support said we should stick with GF 2 because we
make use of the cluster functionality and GF 3.1 was reported not production
ready with this feature. squibber

--
[Message sent by forum member 'squibber']