users@glassfish.java.net

Best mailing list to start a Java EE configuration discussion?

From: Laird Nelson <ljnelson_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 14:47:40 -0400

I've bumped into this for the 324th time in my career and I may have
finally had enough. :-)

The mechanism that Java EE uses for configuring existing .*ar files in Java
EE is just so unbelievably frustrating. Need to change an EJB's
environment entry? Crack open the .ear, find the appropriate .jar, crack
it open, edit the ejb-jar.xml file, reassemble a new .jar, then reassemble
the .ear file. Ugh. Or for more dynamic stuff like
role-to-security-system-group mapping: do the same thing, but now with the
glassfish-web.xml file, or whatever JBoss is using these days, or, if your
.ear file is supposed to deploy on both of them, then both files.

I understand what the existing Java EE specification was going for here
(separation of roles, single deployment unit, etc.). But surely there must
be a better way that nevertheless preserves most if not all of these goals?

So that I do not clog up this list (if it's not the right place to kick
this around): where would be the best place to start this discussion?

Thanks,
Laird

--
http://about.me/lairdnelson