users@glassfish.java.net

Re: secure admin in 3.1.2

From: Tim Quinn <tim.quinn_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 16:28:37 -0600

On Mar 1, 2012, at 3:50 PM, Comerford, Sean wrote:

> Thanks John… that's a VERY confusing name for the command ;-)

By way of explanation (not excuse!)... In earlier releases, enable-
secure-admin did two things: it allowed remote admin and also caused
GlassFish to use SSL for admin traffic from the DAS to the instances.

In 3.1.2 the DAS-to-instance admin traffic is always encrypted using
SSL, so the only function of enable-/disable-secure-admin now is to
turn on/off remote administration. We kept the original command name
for compatibility reasons, even though I suppose "enable-secure-remote-
admin" might have been clearer (if more verbose!).

Keeping the original name also gives us the flexibility of folding in
additional security-related changes to admin behavior in possible
future releases of "enable-secure-admin."

But I agree, taken at face-value the current name doesn't map as
directly to its function as it once did.

- Tim