users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Password aliases: just for passwords, or...?

From: Tom Mueller <tom.mueller_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 08:16:33 -0500

On 3/20/2012 9:38 PM, Laird Nelson wrote:

> At the risk of running off on a tangent, and it's probably in the
> Administration Guide, surely, but I've also seen property
> substitutions like this:
>
> ${SOME_VALUE}
>
> Are these system properties?
Yes.
> Environment variables? Is this the usual de facto standard Java
> system property substitution, or are these always well-known values
> (most seem to be things like (if memory serves) ${as_install_root},
> which look faintly magical)? If I use asadmin create-system-property
> (or whatever that subcommand is), could I supply these values as well?
These can be any system property value, including those passed with -D
on the java command line (use create-jvm-options to set) and system
properties (use create-system-properties to set).

Also, these substitutions can be nested in a string, so you can do:

value="some ${abc} string ${def}"

where abc and def are system properties.

Tom