users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Fwd: JMS 2.0 Early Draft is posted

From: Nigel Deakin <nigel.deakin_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 15:55:20 +0000

Just a reminder that comments are invited on the JMS 2.0 Early Draft. The review period closes on 29 March 2012.

On 29/02/2012 12:03, Nigel Deakin wrote:
> The JMS 2.0 Early Draft is now posted for formal review. The review period ends on 29 March 2012.
> http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/edr/jsr343/index.html
>
> I've created a wiki page summarising the content of the early draft here:
> http://java.net/projects/jms-spec/pages/JSR343EarlyDraft
>
> For more information about JSR 343 see:
> http://java.net/projects/jms-spec/pages/Home
>
> Nigel Deakin
> JSR 343 Specification Lead

A full list of the new features, changes and clarifications introduced in JMS 2.0 is given in section B.5 "Version 2.0"
of the "Change history" chapter. Here is a summary:

The JMS 2.0 specification now requires JMS providers to implement both P2P and Pub-Sub.

The following new messaging features have been added in JMS 2.0:

* Batch delivery: new API has been added to allow a JMS provider to deliver messages to an asynchronous consumer in batches.
* Delivery delay: a message producer can now specify that a message must not be delivered until after a specified time
interval.
* New send methods have been added to allow an application to send messages asynchronously.
* JMS providers must now set the JMSXDeliveryCount message property.

Several changes have been made to the JMS API to make it simpler and easier to use:

* Connection, Session and other objects with a close() method now implement the java.jang.AutoCloseable interface to
allow them to be used in a Java SE 7 try-with-resources statement.
• A new "simplified API" has been added which offers a simpler alternative to the standard API, especially in Java EE
applications.
• New methods have been added to create a session without the need to supply redundant arguments.
• Client ID is now optional when creating a durable subscription

A new chapter has been added which describes some additional restrictions and behaviour which apply when using the JMS
API in the Java EE web or EJB container. This information was previously only available in the EJB and Java EE platform
specifications.

New methods have been added to Session which return a MessageConsumer on a durable topic subscription. Applications
could previously only obtain a domain-specific TopicSubscriber, even though its use was discouraged.

The specification has been clarified in various places.