users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Problem with remote connection to GlassFish 3.1.1 on ...

From: <forums_at_java.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 10:32:21 -0600 (CST)

Thank you very much for your help and suggestions, Tim and hvilekar!
[quote=tjquinn]
One question: Can you tell whether the client-side code is stalled, waiting?
Or it is looping and using up CPU?
[/quote]
The client seems to wait, there is no CPU consumption when it hangs.
[quote=tjquinn]
If you could capture a thread dump that could be helpful. I realize you have
already tracked the stall to the is_a method but if there is a deadlock the
thread dump should help reveal it.
[/quote]
I attached the file "20120112_thread_dump.txt" which contains a thread dump
that I created during a stall.
[quote=tjquinn]
2. Next, get the bits for your client to the remote system so you can run it
manually there. On your server system, run
asadmin get-client-stubs -appname name-of-your-app localdir
This will create a subdirectory structure at localdir.
[/quote]
For unknown reasons, this second step did not work for me. Although the
server quit the execution of the command with the words "Command
get-client-stubs executed successfully.", no files or directories has been
created at the designated directory. I also tried it by providing the client
module's name manually via the "--client" option but got an exception saying
"Invalid option: --client", although the option is described in the
sub-command's help page. So unfortunately, I had not been able to start the
client via the appclient.
After having thought about it, I realised that I did not replace and use the
latest libraries in my client (i.e. "gf-client-3.1.2-b16" instead of
"gf-client-3.1.1", etc.) when testing it with the GlassFish 3.1.2-b16. I am
using Maven to build the client, so as simple-hearted as I am,  I simply
tried to update the Maven dependencies correspondingly, just to learn that
promoted builds are apparently not included in the public repositories (or at
least not in those I found). As our build process is quite complex, I would
like to avoid having to add or deploy all the libraries manually. Is there
any Maven repository from which I can get the libraries of promoted GlassFish
builds?
Anyway, there is another very interesting thing that I found out: When I stop
the domain on the server while the client got stuck in trying to connect to
it, the client finally fails with a NamingException. I attached the file
"20120112_stack_trace.txt" which contains the client exception's stack trace.
Of course, the exception itself is hardly surprising but the fact that it
only happens after having stopped the domain on the server leads me to the
assumption that there at least exist a connection to the server, even though
in some weird status.
Any ideas?

--
[Message sent by forum member 'mastern']