users@glassfish.java.net

Tutorial or step-by-step example of Assembler role?

From: Laird Nelson <ljnelson_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 11:04:54 -0400

I've been working with Java EE for at least 10 years now and feel like I
still have an incomplete understanding from a real-world perspective on the
Application Assembler role.

Is there any kind of walkthrough that the community would recommend that
would address some real-world concerns around application assembly?

For example, things like:

   - Suppose I pack up an .ear file with two jar files that each contain an
   SLSB implementation of a business interface. What's the recommended way to
   ensure that one is used versus the other? Or is it as simple as, don't pack
   them both up, dummy?
   - Suppose I have two EJB jar files that each contain EJBs that inject
   EJBs from the other's jar file. Suppose I wish to deploy these, now, in two
   separate .war files. What are the steps I must go through (probably code
   changes as well) to make this possible?
   - Are there real world examples of taking a well-crafted EJB from someone
   else and using all the deployment descriptor elements to include it in an
   .ear file of my own such that security is applied properly?
   - How are people using the alt-dd capability, especially given that it
   must still point to a deployment descriptor inside the archive (i.e. no
   absolute paths, no out-of-archive filesystem references)?

It's not that this information isn't available by reading the specification
very very carefully--my question is more: does anyone actually make use of
this role? Or has the role been subsumed into build tools and recipes? If
so, what are those recipes? Maybe they're obvious, in which case I would be
happy to be pointed to them.

Thanks very much.

Best,
Laird