users@glassfish.java.net

Re: DAS on a seperate host??

From: John Clingan <john.clingan_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 12:32:00 -0700

Need to run on separate host? No
Should run on a separate host? It's a best practice placing a DAS on a host separate from running instances

It's a good idea to split the DAS onto its own host for the following reasons:
1) If the node with the DAS+instance goes down, then you lose the instance, the DAS, and the ability to manage the remaining instance until you bring the DAS back up
2) Security. If they break into the host (which is public-facing if it is hosting an instance), they can compromise the DAS, which can then impact all the other clusters and applications. Put admin traffic on a non-public-facing interface if you have to use two hosts.
3) Your DAS has to fight for resources with the running instance. What happens if the instance is busy enough to impact your ability to manage the cluster? If you have to run both instance+DAS on same host, then use the host server's resource management features - if available - to ensure your DAS always has enough resources.

That's a quick brain dump. Hope it helps!