users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Cluster-wide

From: Shreedhar Ganapathy <shreedhar.ganapathy_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 17:21:39 -0700

It would be great if you could share your use case with us for the
cluster wide singleton as we have not seen much demand for such a service.
If there is sufficient interest, we can look to implementing it or seek
community contributions for it.

Re: easy for someone familiar with Shoal : I suspect the devil is in the
details.
We have never tried doing a clusterwide singleton nor have we thought
about the intricate syncronization issues that may come up such as
timing of calls to appoint a singleton particularly at cluster startup
when the group is just forming and list of members is in flux - so I'd
hesitate to share code snippets without actually spending some time
thinking about the set of use cases a singleton service is expected to
solve while taking into account support of such cases as network splits
with a predictable algo.

Having some use cases from the community members as you have started
would help us a lot.
--Shreedhar