users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Vague CORBA issue causing unexplainable problems

From: Amy Kang <amy.kang_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 19:43:52 -0800

On 11-01-03 01:49 PM, Paul Giblock wrote:
> Amy -
>
> I am now opening JMS connections on demand using a method-scoped
> Connection. This seems to 'fix' the problem. However, I know it is
> 'fixed' simply because there are not as many JMS connections.

not necessarily, for it could be due to the elimination of the cached
connection in your Stateless Session Bean instance. For EJB, JMSRA
(the resource adapter for GlassFish MQ) associates a transaction at JMS
connection level, therefore if the connection is cached in Stateless
Session Bean instance, and if a Stateless Session Bean instance or the
cached connection is possibly (either due to a bug or due to application
component that allows that) concurrently used in multiple transactions,
the problem can occur.

> I am
> afraid that we may encounter some usage pattern in the future which
> may cause many JMS connections to be opened simultaneously - causing
> the error again sometime when we don't expect it.
>
> Regardless, this solution is obviously more efficient as it takes
> advantage of GF's connection pooling. Although, it surprises me that
> Sun/Oracle approves of the "Cache your connection at @PostConstruct"
> paradigm if it causes errors. Is there a way I can keep track of "#
> opened JMS connections / max pool size" so I can be alerted as we
> start to approach or maximum?

Please check GlassFish Administration Guide or in GlassFish
Administration Console on Monitoring. On MQ broker side, you can see
the number of open client connections using 'imqcmd list cxn'

amy

> I haven't tested on the 3.1 snapshot yet, but I have tested on 3.0.1
> and the same errors occur as on our production servers (CORBA-ish
> exception in EMBEDDED or LOCAL mode).
>
> Anyways, Thank you for the help so far, I will continue inspecting this.
>
> -Paul G
>
> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Amy Kang<amy.kang_at_oracle.com> wrote:
>> and
>>
>> On 12/30/2010 12:15 PM, Amy Kang wrote:
>>> Paul,
>>>
>>> So far my comments on this has been focusing on JMS side with the
>>> assumption that everything else in the GlassFish server that you were using
>>> works as expected and with piece by piece info on your application. For
>>> example, some other factors to consider
>>>
>>> . Concurrent use of a Stateless session bean instance
>>> - You can move the make/closeConnection to the announceNewQuestion()
>>> method, since the JMS connections are pooled, to see if you still see the
>>> problem.
>> when you try the above, change the instance variable 'connection' to method
>> local. -amy
>>
>>> . Any potential bugs in GlassFish 3 that has been fixed in 3.0.1 and 3.1
>>> that could be related to this (?)
>>> - If you can not try 3.1 latest promoted build, you should at least try
>>> 3.0.1 to see if you can reproduce the same problem
>>> . If necessary, a non-public (engineer's) property that you maybe able to
>>> try to rule out of 1 area (when the colleague who works in this area returns
>>> from vacation next week)
>>> . Any other exceptions seen in the server log (?)
>>>
>>> You can also enable FINE debug logging to relevant components of the
>>> GlassFish server, ejb, jts/jta, jca, jms, corba, .., which you can set in
>>> GlassFish Administration Console, and some additional JMSRA logger names (as
>>> seen in the source code)
>>> com.sun.messaging.jmq.jmsclient.XAResourceForMC
>>> javax.resourceadapter.mqjmsra.outbound.connection
>>> javax.resourceadapter.mqjmsra.xa
>>> com.sun.messaging.jms.ra.DirectXAResource