users@glassfish.java.net

Re: JACC question

From: Kumar.Jayanti <Vbkumar.Jayanti_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 14:14:19 +0530

On 26/01/11 10:42 PM, Laird Nelson wrote:
> I'm a newcomer to JACC in Glassfish.
>
> As I understand it, JACC is a way for me to supply a Policy
> implementation that applies to the entire application server (!) and
> governs how various role-based permissions are supplied to it by
> Glassfish.
>
> I would like to confirm one very surprising (to me) assumption: does
> this REALLY mean that my Policy must therefore be prepared to handle
> access decisions for ALL applications that might be present on my
> Glassfish instance? What if I don't have control over the other
> applications?
>
> Suppose, for example, that BigCo has an .ear file on my server.
> Suppose further I have an app that I wrote on the same server. I
> would like to perform detailed authorization checks on EJBs in my
> application, but would like to leave BigCo's .ear file alone, since I
> don't know anything about it.
It depends on whether BigCo's EAR uses any security (using descriptors
and/or annotations). If it did then GlassFish will ensure it will
generate appropriate policy when the EAR was deployed to control its
access. And the same rule applies to you app and all apps deployed on
GlassFish.

For example a WebApp which does not use any security will cause
GlassFish to generate an unchecked access grant to all resources in the App.