users@glassfish.java.net

Glassfish memory allocation

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 03:39:08 PDT

How is memory allocated on startup of the glassfish server?

For example, if Xms and Xmx are, respectively set at 512 and 1024, does the server initially grab 512 and then grab more as required up to the limit?

If so, what happens if there isn't any memory available on the OS?

I have a situation with the above settings on a Windows server that is often getting an outofmemory error. I notice that although the the OS has 4Gb the memory used is about 3.8Gb. Normally glassfish runs with about 600Mb. If glassfish then needed another 200+, taking the OS over the 4Gb limit what would happen? I suspect that is when the outofmemory error occurs, does that sound right?

Regards,
Rupert
[Message sent by forum member 'ruperty']