users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Unable to launch Glassfish

From: Snjezana Sevo-Zenzerovic <snjezana.sevozenzerovic_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 11:27:32 -0700

I'll still do the post-mortem of this installation :-)

I don't think your automatic updates were the issue but I do see that
this 3.0.1 installation contained additional glassfish-cluster and
glassfish-ha packages from 3.1 release and they were the cause of your
startup problem. They could not get installed as an update so my best
guess is that at some point you installed them into "wrong" installation
image, i.e. 3.0.1 instead of 3.1. So, alternative to reinstallation
would have been to just uninstall these two packages.

FWIW, I am in the process of adding more restrictive package version
dependencies to avoid this kind of mix-and-match result, but in the
meantime be careful about the installation of extra packages from "dev"
stability repository on top of 3.0.1 installation. Updates should be
perfectly safe as long as you don't tweak the source of updates and
continue using predefined "stable" repository as update source.