users@glassfish.java.net

Re: EJB Client runs in Netbeans, but not outside

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 09:44:44 PDT

I'm glad to hear it's working now. Sorry the path to success was so hard.

To use the appclient script remotely, you do not need all of GlassFish installed on the remote sytem. Unfortuately, you need quite a bit of it, something we want to improve on. The best approach is to use the package-appclient script on the server which creates a JAR file. You can then move this JAR to any remote system and expand it. It contains the correct subset of GlassFish you'll need to use the appclient script.

In earlier versions of GlassFish the JAR files did contain platform-specific content, but that has not been true for a while. So you can use the same JAR file produced by package-appclient for any operating system.

As for username and password, you can pass the username on the command line. You can also specify a password file which contains the password. (We strongly discourage including passwords on command lines.) Or, even better, the app client container and the client-side security subsystem will prompt the user automatically when it needs a username and password.

- Tim
[Message sent by forum member 'tjquinn']