users@glassfish.java.net

What is the most practical way of deploying an app-client?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 10:37:32 PDT

Hi guys,

I previously (GF 2.1) developed a few ear applications with a swing based enterprise app client that ran in the same LAN as the server. I would deply / launch the clients by simply creating a shortcut to the glassfish java web start url and i was quiet happy with that.

In gf 2.1 I noticed that doing this same operation across the internet can take over an hour and yesterday while playing with GF 3.1 I realised that all jars downloaded from the client by java web start were not over 60 mb which seems to be almost the whole app server.

Why does it take so long?

Now we are building a commercial application and we can't expect people to stare at the java web start dialog for over an hour to download our application client?

I believe there is an asadmin command to create all the neccesary files to launch the application client with the Application client container included. How do we exactly do this? Would it be easier to do this and then to burn it on a cd or ask people to download this generated client stubs????

I am aware that through java web start updates to the EAR file in the server are nicely filtered by JWS as it downloads only the updated jars and not the whole 60 mb again.

In summary, two questions:
why do this 60 mb take so long?
What do you suggest is the best way to generate/deploy/launch/update all the necessary files to run the application client?

Regards,
Pablo.
Anahata Technologies

p.s. I really like glassfish, i have a couple of commercial websites and a control management ear application running in prod since almost two years now. The new OSGI arquitecture looks so sexy to me and I am looking forward to enjoy the new JEE6 features. Thanks to all the community for your efforts looking after the forums and making such a cool piece of software possible.
[Message sent by forum member 'pablopina']