users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Re: Webtier one pager for review

From: Dominik Dorn <dominik.dorn_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 21:07:17 +0200

If I'm understanding this correctly,
it would allow sessions, that would be able to
_never_ (or after a certain amount of time until
they are just put onto disk) expire?

IMO this would be a great feature, as it would make all this
"make a sticky cookie to remember the user without
registration even in the future by putting his data into a special
table and then look it up manually when the user comes back"
stuff a lot more painless.

A huge amount of sites implement this pattern (e.g. bit.ly) and
if we could simply say "the session is moved from memory to disk after 30
minutes and stays there for x minutes/hours/days/months"
it would make implementation of it a lot easier.
Of course, new session-events have to be thrown, like a
sessionPersistedEvent,
sessionLoadedFromMemoryEvent or stuff like that.

That's actually also what terracotta is advertising with their persistent
sessions.

--
Dominik Dorn
http://dominikdorn.com