users@glassfish.java.net

Why does Timer Service require Full Profile?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 09:49:39 PDT

I'm running Glassfish 3.0.1 Web Profile. I tried using the Timer Service by using the @Schedule annotation, and I got the following when trying to deploy:

Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Invalid application. EJB MonitorTask uses the EJB Timer Service. This feature is not part of the EJB 3.1 Lite API
        at com.sun.ejb.containers.BaseContainer.assertFullProfile(BaseContainer.java:1094)
        at com.sun.ejb.containers.BaseContainer.<init>(BaseContainer.java:708)

That's a good informative message: the Timer Service requires the full EJB stuff. So I launch the updatetool, install "GlassFish EJB Container" (package glassfish-ejb), restart everything just in case, and try again. But I get the same error.

The stack trace suggests it's actually checking for the Full Profile, not just the full EJB Container. Is that really required? What's the point of having modules if you can't actually pick and choose which ones to install?

Thanks

Mirko
[Message sent by forum member 'mnasato']