users@glassfish.java.net

Deployment/updating ear file: atomic?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 08:06:18 PDT

I would like to understand whether the deployment of a new version of an .ear file is atomic from the standpoint of the user or not.

My company anticipates that our .ear file will contain quite a lot of modules. Therefore I anticipate deployment time to be non-trivial. In a perfect world, I'd like the old version of my application to stick around until Glassfish has finished deploying the new version. Then I'd like Glassfish to swap out the old version and activate the new version.

This is a different requirement than one of the Glassfish 3.1 features being worked on (versioned applications).

To what extent is this perfect world vision realized in Glassfish 3.0.1? What is the recommended way for updating an ear file on a production server when the ear deployment process is expected to take some time?

Best,
Laird
[Message sent by forum member 'ljnelson']