users@glassfish.java.net

GF v3 mod_proxy_ajp - slow download of files from deployed JnlpServlet

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 03:19:17 PDT

Hi,
I recently replaced tomcat6 with glassfishv3 and ran into the following problem.

Setup:
Apache 2.2 - mod_proxy_ajp - glassfishv3

Our webapplication contains a fat java client with a fair amount of 3rd party libs (overall 25mb) that is distributed with JavaWebStart.
The download of the client files is painfully slow when proxied through Apache and normal when fetched from GF directly. Any other requests between the java client and the webapplication shows no difference in response times.

I created a new listener with default values and marked off jk enabled but
I presume there is some configuration for the jk listener that I'm missing.

The apache error log repeatly says:
Fri Jun 04 07:42:01 2010] [error] (70007)The timeout specified has expired: ajp_ilink_receive() can't receive header
[Fri Jun 04 07:42:01 2010] [error] ajp_read_header: ajp_ilink_receive failed
[Fri Jun 04 07:42:01 2010] [error] (120006)APR does not understand this error code: proxy: read response failed from 127.0.0.1:8009 (localhost)

Hence I'm hitting a response timeout. The same setup with tomcat6 worked just fine so the only thing that changed is the listener setup on the appserver side.

Has anyone solved this behavior with glassfish when downloading large files and can point me towards a solution?

Thanks in advance
/arvid
[Message sent by forum member 'arvidhuss']