users@glassfish.java.net

Java EE, Glassfish: simple server application design guidelines

From: agatone <zoran.zoki_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 06:02:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I'm trying to write simple server application - EchoServerApp - with the
only functionality of just replying back to client with whatever the client
wrote.

It's simple to have that kind of application written and run in CLI, but
developing a enterprise application is a bit confusing to me and all around
the internet people are just talking about web applications (http
initiated).

My goal is to have an application that creates listening socket and so that
I can run that application inside glassfish.

Can somebody please write a short explanation how to design my EchoServerApp
and how to run it on/inside glassfish (not on client side). The most
confusing part for me is where to put socket listening code - since it's not
allowed to have it inside EJBs (by specs). I understand that the request to
my EchoServerApp is then processed by EJB - no doubt in that.

I've also read something about creating a Java Resource Adapter using the
Java Connector Architecture where you can have listening socket/s, but
information/examples of that I cannot find.

Also somebody mentioned "possibility to write a custom protocol in GF using
port unification" - samples anyone?

I'd be very thankful if somebody could point me in the right direction (some
stuff to read) or write few short sentences - just to know where to look and
get this confusion cleared.

Thank you