users@glassfish.java.net

Multiple OSGI web services in same context

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 00:41:56 PDT

Hi all (and Sahoo in particular!),

I have been reading Sahoo's series of blogs on OSGI web applications, and have a few queries about how this may work in the real world. My main query is in regards to packaging and sharing web-contextpath

It would seem that OSGI web applications need a Web-ContextPath in the manifest for Glassfish to recognise the bundle. Therefore it seems impossible to deploy an application consisting of multiple Web Service endpoints (or EJB endpoints for that matter) as a collection of OSGI bundles. This seems like quite a drawback to me!

For example, say I have an application that provides common java code, JPA entities, etc and CoreServices as a web service, in the context myapp:

<host>/myapp/
- CoreServices

Is it possible to add a new OSGI bundle that adds an additional Web Service endpoint to myapp, sharing existing sessions/resources/JPA Entities/etc available in myapp? You would then see the following Web Services

<host>/myapp/
- CoreServices
- ExtendedServices

As far as I can tell, this is not possible? Does it seem to be a valid use case?

Furthermore, with the programmatic registration of servlets and such this same idea could also be extended to web applications that do support a UI. It would seem to be a similar (if not identical) approach that is being taken by Spring Slices.

Do I have the wrong idea here? It is causing me some confusion!

Cheers
Cameron
[Message sent by forum member 'cameronr']