users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Installer functional specification ready for review

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 14:58:51 PDT

Please consider these comments on the Installation one-pager.

1. Risk 1 talks about the AIX platform, but section 4.1 doesn't list AIX as a supported platform? Also, I was under the impression that the UC team is preparing support for HP-UX. Is that going to be supported too for 3.1?

2. I don't think section 4.3 should be N/A. Shouldn't this list what is included in this design, i.e., the installer and uninstaller for the various platforms?

3. 4.4 (3) - It might be useful to state that the in-place upgrade will be supported via the updatetool. Also, will the installer detect if an attempt is made to do an in-place upgrade using the installer, i.e, if the customer enters the directory of an existing install. (I assume the answer is yes since issue 10734 is in the list)

4. It would be helpful if there was a way to do a query to get the issues to be addressed by the one pager, e.g, put a white board field into each of those issues. Or at least have the Summary from the issue in the document.

5. I see the new silent file option for not creating a domain. Is this option going to be exposed in the GUI? The reason I ask is that with clustering support, it will be typical for users to install the software for use by instances, without ever creating a domain. So the option to not create a domain would be nice for those installs.

6. Where is the specification for what packages are going to be included in the install bundles? Specifically, we are expecting the package(s) for clustering support to be included in all install bundles, even though those packages can be uninstalled if someone doesn't want them. Maybe just the new packages to be included can be listed plus those that will be removed (if any).

7. Issue 5094 sounds like it could potentially change quite a bit in the installer. What specifically will be addressed related to 5094.

8. Implementing 9208 would require a new imported interface from UC, and AFAIK, there are no plans to make any improvements in this area.

Thanks.
Tom
[Message sent by forum member 'tmueller']