users@glassfish.java.net

Re: 3.1 Deployment One Pager

From: Arun Gupta <arun.p.gupta_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 10:00:58 -0700

Hi Hong,

See in line ...

>> 3). The purpose of --name attribute is not clear, is it mandatory ?
> It is mandatory if you want to use the versioning.
I think this needs to be clearly documented in that case.

>> Why can't it be derived from the archive name ? Do the deployable
>> archive names need to be different ?
> It's just more clear and has no ambiguity to use the name option. No,
> the archive names do not need to be different.
Agreed, unique name will make the archive name redundant.

>> 5). Some more details on how/where the internal versions are stored
>> will be helpful.
> How the versioned application is stored is really internal
> implementation detail (which is subject to change). I am not sure if we
> should expose this in the document.
Agreed, I guess some internal document might be helpful for folks like
me :-)

>> 6). 5.4 says "If the currently enabled version isn't matched by the
>> expression, the command will result in a no-operation."
>>
>> I think the no-op will return an error message.
> This is to be consistent with the current non versioned commands. If you
> try to disable an already disabled application, or try to enable an
> already enabled application, it will do nothing and tells you the
> command executed successfully as what you want to achieve is achieved.
This is a different use case though.

The text indicates that no version is matched by the specified
expression so there is nothing to enable and hence the request was not
met successfully. Am I understanding it incorrectly ?

>> 9). In 6, 2nd scenario, do deploying a new version automatically
>> enable it as well ?
> Depending on the value of the --enable attribute of the deploy command.
> The default value of the --enable attribute is true.
OK, makes sense as this was not mentioned in the doc.

>> 10). In 8.2.1, should the error message be "Version foo:2 not
>> registred" or "Version foo:2 not *deployed*" ? Ditto for 8.2.2.
> Again, this is to be consistent with the existing error messages. If you
> try to operate on a non-versioned application which does not exist, it
> will also tell you that application is not registered yet.
What is the difference between "registered" and "deployed" ?

-Arun

--
Blog: http://blogs.sun.com/arungupta
Twitter: http://twitter.com/arungupta