users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Glassfish clustering problems

From: Shreedhar Ganapathy <shreedhar.ganapathy_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 12:04:55 -0700

Hi doal
To make things easier to isolate, with 2.1.1 could you start by using
the clusterjsp sample application that is in the samples directory ?

This will help us ensure that you are starting with an app that we use
to test basic replication functionality and then you can move up to your
app.
That way we will know if its an app specific issue or a more general issue.

There several variables that are different here from our testing
environments :
1. The app - your app could be using frames and ajax like functionality
that may be doing things within the session scope that may be putting
off replication logic. We may have a solution for that but need to
confirm that is indeed happening at some point once you have tried out
clusterjsp.
2. The OS - although it is Linux and we have tested on other flavors of
Linux, we have not tested and supported HA on Ubuntu 9.10
3. The LB through mod_proxy - although this is expected to work, we do
not test and certify support on mod_proxy - we have tested and certified
support with our LB plugin working with what used to be called Sun Java
System Web Server (6.x to 7), Apache Web Server 2.0, and IIS. I am not
sure but I also think we support Apache with mod_jk
4. Instances in host machine and Virtual Box - another variable where
things may go wrong. Could you try two physical machines instead first
to establish the virtualization variable is not causing any intermittent
issues?

Any of the above variables could be at play here. You will need to take
it step by step to isolate the issue.

Since you are using Apache 2.2, you may want to see this blog entry by
Kshitiz for any tips from the blog or from comments that may be of help.
http://blogs.sun.com/kshitiz/entry/load_balancer_plugin_in_glassfish

I am sorry you are having to face this issue and its taking some elbow
grease to get clustering and HA in your environment but too many
variables are involved that may contribute to issues.

Hope this helps you get further soon :-)
Shreedhar