users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Java EE 6 + Eclipse

From: Alexis Moussine-Pouchkine <alexis.mp_at_sun.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 10:20:24 +0200

On 23 avr. 2010, at 09:27, glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:

> hi
>
> one thing that is a point of confusion for me - a newby - is that Java EE 6 JDK comes with glassfish v3 server, and there is a glassfish tool bundle for eclipse which uses Java EE 6.

The Java EE SDK ships with GlassFish as this is the reference implementation.
The GlassFish Tools bundle for Eclipse is there to offer a way for Eclipse users to easily start using Java EE 6 (and GlassFish) much like the NetBeans "Java" bundle offers an integrated environment.

> My question: can I use other server containers like Tomcat or Jetty with Java EE 6 in eclipse or otherwise?

You can certainly setup your development environment with other runtimes but the two examples you give are not Java EE 6 runtimes but rather web containers (a smaller subset of the features offered by a full Java EE 6 application server).

hth,
-Alexis