users@glassfish.java.net

Re: [Glassfish 3] Deployment fails on a NullPointerException.

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 08:36:40 PDT

Ok, there are two problems discovered from the glassfish side.

1. The application defines the appclient jar through the application.xml, but the appclient jar itself does contain the appclient jar characteristic files (like application-client.xml or sun-application-client.xml or Main-Class in Manifest file). This should work according to JavaEE spec (as the application.xml fully defines the modules already). This needs to be fixed from glassfish side. To workaround it for now, you could put in one of the three things (application-client.xml , sun-application-client.xml, Main-Class in Manifest file) in the client jar to indicate to glassfish that it's an appclient jar.

2. The NPE. Even if the module type cannot be recognized, we should still provide a better error message. This also needs to be fixed on glassfish side.

I will open a glassfish issue for the above two. Thanks for reporting the problem and attaching the application.

- Hong
[Message sent by forum member 'hzhang_jn']