users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Can session persist accross browser session

From: Jan Luehe <Jan.Luehe_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 17:47:00 -0800

On 11/28/09 09:39, glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:
> Is it possible to allow a session to persist a browser shutdown? I suspect the JSESSIONID cookie would need to be made a permanent instead of a session cookie but I haven't found a way to do that.
>
> Specifically I'm trying to allow a logged in user to resume their session after their browser is shutdown and restarted.

Yes, this can be done using the new configuration capabilities for
session tracking cookies provided by Servlet 3.0 (and implemented
by GlassFish v3):

You can set the expiration of time of your application's session tracking
cookies declaratively, by specifying the max-age element in your
web.xml deployment descriptor, as follows:

<web-app [...]>
  <session-config>
    <cookie-config>
      <max-age>...</max-age>
    </cookie-config>
  </session-config>
</web-app>

or programmtically (e.g., from a ServletContextListener), as in the
following example:

  public class ConfigListener implements ServletContextListener {

    public void contextInitialized(ServletContextEvent sce) {
        sce.getServletContext().getSessionCookieConfig().setMaxAge(...);
    }

If you are using a pre-v3 GlassFish release, you can configure the
expiration of your application's session tracking cookies using the
(non-portable) sun-web.xml deployment descriptor, as follows:

<sun-web-app>
  <session-config>
    <cookie-properties>
      <property name="cookieMaxAgeSeconds" value="..." />
    </cookie-properties>
  </session-config>
</sun-web-app>

Jan