users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Busy threads in Grizzly

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 17:16:04 PST

Hi Jeanfrancois

Thanks for your previous response and appologies for the delay in getting back. This got parked for the moment due to other things going on. Anyways back on the case now...(this ended up being a failry lenghty post, appreciate your time in reading through)

We ran another load test (similar to what caused a relatively high load), but this time around we didn't see a considerable increase on the load. We ran this for a while but couldn't really reproduce the previous observations. So we've decided to leave that alone. However I did increase the number of acceptor threads to be 8 as I was running 8 cores. Havent had the time to go back with the previous setting to test it out though :(

However, as we switch over to Grizzly, we've been trying to figure out on the changes we need to do on our monitoring. We currently monitor the jk threads and when it gets close to the number of max threads, alerts are issued. Looking at Grizzly, even on the current load test, we've seen only around 5-6 busy threads showing up in the jmx attributes. And around 30 total number of threads created. We are hitting the server with around 50 concurrent users all performing a bunch of sql operations throgh components running on Glassfish. Does this actually sound right? If we are to monitor any threds do you have any feeling about what attributes we should monitor and what would be the 'danger' level one should be alerted. I can appreciate that this would be situational, but any prior experience/advice is most welcomed.

Also on the note of Grizzly being non-blocking, would you be able to shed some light on how exactly the http request gets served. Does a http request come in get allocated a thread from the http service and does it hand it over to a different worker thread and by that the http thread is freed up? is that a non-blocking behavior you refer to? would love to hear some details around this.

Thanks ever so much.

Cheers
-- Imran
[Message sent by forum member 'imranbohoran' (imranbohoran_at_gmail.com)]