users@glassfish.java.net

Re: GlassFish on AIX on 64-bit JVM?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 07:23:40 PST

Hi, Shreedhar

Thanks for your quick reply again.

Yeah actually we have been thinking on exactly the same configuration that you are suggesting. We got two servers with the same specs so we would have a GlassFish cluster of 6-8 32-bit instances, 3-4 instances on each of them, with a load balancer as a facade. More about that later. These two servers will also run Oracle in an Active/Passive mode (sadly we can't go the Oracle RAC route due licensing costs). Our idea is to keep stopped some of the GlassFish instances where Oracle is running to save resources. If/when Oracle is switched over, then some GF instances will be stopped by the clustering SW on the working node to make room. Once the failed node is back, the cluster SW will start all of them on that one to make use of the newly available resources. I guess there is no problem from the load balancing plugin point of view since it will not send load to an instance that is not running, right? So yeah I realize it's a quite complex scenario, which is why we are interested on 64-bit on first place, to try to simplify things ;)

About the LB Plugin, as you rightly mention, it is not supported on AIX. I've been planning to test SJSWS on Linux as a facade, but it doesn't look like it could ever work because the GF LB plugin comes with native libraries for GlassFish and they are compiled for Linux. Oops. Talking about that, do you know if there is any trouble to use a "vanilla" HTTP reverse proxy as an alternative? Like Apache Web Server mod_reverse_proxy, by example. That is one bit of software that should be available on AIX. Unfortunately at this time we can't afford a hardware LB either.

Yeah I agree with what you said about running on an unsupported JDK level. It's too risky.

Please give me a handle to the Volume Sales team, you can contact me at aromanos (at) avalonbiometrics.com if you don't want to give it out here. I'll forward it to our management people and maybe they can agree on some level of support.

Thanks in advance,

-- Andrés
[Message sent by forum member 'aromanos_avalon' ]