users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Communication trouble DAS - Node Agent

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 20:49:24 PST

Thank you.

> admch is used for NA to collocated instances (on the
> same machine as NA is on). So for the time being you
> can set aside that part.

Good to know. I will ignore that file.

> What seems to be broken is the DAS to NA
> communication. (Is NA to DAS fine ? For example
> create an instance for that NA and restart NA. If NA
> om restart becomes aware of the instance then NA to
> DAS is fine)

Created an instance on the NA. It shows up as stopped
on the DAS console. Retarted the NA, startup OK. DAS
still shows instance status stopped and node agent
status is still a blank.

> DAS tries to contact NA based on client-hostname
> property in that NA's config in DAS's domian.xml.
> This property is the "published" address by the NA.

That property is correct. Verified that NA is reachable
by that name from the DAS.

> The das.properties in NA's config dir is used by NA
> to lookup DAS. And nodeagent.properties files in NA
> is used in configuration of jmx connector server in
> NA.

These also are correct.

> Typically hostname in nodeagent.propeties is what
> you should see in client-hostname for that NA in the
> DAS's domain.xml

Yes, they are identical.

Putting a pair of frame monitors on the interfaces shows
that communication is completing without error whether
initiated by the DAS or the NA. I've monitored TCP
conversations initiated from each side and see no
trouble.

I also monitored the default route of the DAS. Lo and
behold! the DAS is trying to send to 10.97.20.23--the
address sent by the NA in some of the traffic.

Now why would the DAS use that address?
I never used it in any configuration and it is not
mentioned in any configuration file on either the
NA or the DAS.

As I mentioned before, the packet from the NA to
the DAS that includes that address is sent during
a DAS-initiated conversation with the NA jmx port.
Oh, and the DAS initiates that conversation when
the 'node agents' link is clicked on the console.
It has the character string 'UnicastRef2' just before
it in the transmission.

Thank you again for your help.

  -=greg
[Message sent by forum member 'gjwiley' ]