users@glassfish.java.net

Re: com.sun.jndi.ldap.Connection javax.naming.Communicatio: Too many files open

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 08:36:23 PDT

I ran GF V2 as root after raing the max files limit from 1024 to 8192 using: ulimit -n 8192.
Now my system stress test does not get "too many file open". Instead I get the following from by posgresql driver:

JDBCExceptionReporter:101 - FATAL: sorry, too many clients already

This seems like a flow control issue in my test which is causing congestion in the system rather than a problem with GF V2.

As for why we are not seeing same issues on Tomcat, I am guessing that due to significantly lower throughput of Tomcat 6 we do not reach the limits on concurrent db transactions and open files. This is just a hunch and would appreciate someone commenting on it.

So perhaps this issue is a feature rather than a bug in GF V2 ;-)
[Message sent by forum member 'najmi' (farrukh_at_wellfleetsoftware.com)]