users@glassfish.java.net

NSS FIPS 140-2 encryption for Glassfish App Server on Windows

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:51:35 PDT

We would like to configure Java such that our web service communications will be encrypted in a manner that is FIPS 140-2 compliant.
I see here that Sun has achieved success in compliance testing in conjunction with the NSS libraries from Mozilla:
http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/STM/cmvp/documents/140-1/1401val2007.htm#814

I found Andrea's excellent blog which took me through steps in setting up the ..\jre\lib\security\java.security file and in setting up the nss.cfg file:
http://blogs.sun.com/andreas/entry/elliptic_curve_cryptography_in_java

However, when I go to the download of Mozilla \ NSS the latest releases only provide the C code tar bundles. The latest release that provided the binaries for Windows was 3.11 and that was for Windows NT.
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/security/nss/releases/NSS_3_11_RTM/

I was therefore hoping that someone might have a step-by-step such that I could create these binaries for Windows XP and Windows Vista. Or even better someone might know of a site where I could download them.

Other information: Our installation of Glassfish also has Metro installed.

Thanks for any help or advice.
[Message sent by forum member 'vickyv' (vvickers_at_harris.com)]