users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Long paths on windows

From: Comerford, Sean <Sean.Comerford_at_espn3.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 13:32:28 +0000

Wešre using JDK 1.6 b 11.

There arenšt any specific errors messages in the logs ­ just a generic ŗa
domain operation could not be completed˛ stuff.

The files in question are applications resources (created by Glassfish at
deploy time) that are failed to be deleted during synchronization of a node
agent with the DAS for an app un-deploy + re-deploy.

As a result, previous versions are being left behind when we try to upgrade
the version.

This ONLY seems to happen when the file path in question is longer than the
255 size. Herešs an example of a file path that fails to delete:

e:\apps\glassfish\nodeagents\espngamesql10\espngamesql10-gALLprAlertsGf\appl
ications\j2ee-apps\alerts-central-app\alerts-central-subscribe-resp-ejb_jar\
META-INF\maven\com.espn.alerts\alerts-central-subscribe-resp-ejb\pom.propert
ies

Our operations team is familiar with the issues around windoze and 255+
character paths but the weird thing here is Glassfish obviously was able to
CREATE that file but canšt seem to delete it. And our understanding is that
Win limitation is only applicable for certain tools like file explorer, etc
(see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177665).

As much as Išd love to get us off windows, thatšs not an option right now
:-( So if therešs any sort of work around we can implement, more details on
it would be great.

--
Sean Comerford, Software Engineer
ESPN.com Site Architecture Group