users@glassfish.java.net

Re: How do I run a process within a web service?

From: NBW <emailnbw_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:55:51 -0400

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 8:21 PM, <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org> wrote:

> What NBW wrote is technically correct, but the reality is different. Most
> any container will let you create a thread if you want, regardless of the
> what the spec says. It's not "officially" portable to do that, but it's
> "practically" portable.

Having the capability to violate the spec. doesn't make it right either. The
old adage "here's the bullet and here's the gun" applies. If for example the
OP needs to support an EE clustered environment creating his own threads in
the web tier is going to break things regardless of whether the app server
lets him do it. That said I have not used Quartz but from a cursory read of
the documentation it looks like its clustering capability is non-container
managed.

Caveat emptor.