users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Glassfish V3 support for Grails 1.1

From: Vivek Pandey <Vivek.Pandey_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 08:51:49 -0700

Michael Mellinger wrote:
> I should point out that although the Grails war files are probably 20x
> smaller without the jars, the big win will be being able to deploy the
> wars much more quickly and avoiding the PermGen space problem the
> seems to occur after several apps are (re)deploy on a Glassfish
> server.

I agree. Although there is not much we can do about it in glassfish.
Most of the problems are really inside Grails and the components it
uses. These are the problems identified in our investigations:

1. Grails OOM/Permgen Issue [1]. This is marked fixed for Grails 1.1.1.
2. HSQLDB, HsqlTimer thread and ContextClassLoader related issue[2]. It
is still not fixed yet.
3. In groovy 1.5 we identified certain locking issues. It is supposed to
have been fixed in groovy 1.6. See[2]

Probably unloading JDBC driver in fix for #1 can fix #2 as well. Best
thing would be, if you could try out Grails 1.1.1, and report whether
you see any improvement w.r.t. permgen/OOM issue on GlassFish.

-vivek.

[1]http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRAILS-2544
[2]http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1922315&group_id=23316&atid=378131
[3]http://markmail.org/message/shjxg7lmulaptx7v