users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Timezones, Glassfish, Two different systems: How do I change the TZ of Glassfish?

From: rdblaha1 <rd_blaha_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 07:06:33 -0700 (PDT)

Marina Vatkina wrote:

> I'm wondering how can it work with JDBC and fail with JPA... JPA uses the
> same
> JDBC API to get the data from the database...
>
> Will using property-based persistence where you modify the Date values
> when they
> come from the database solve your problem?

I must apologize for listening to partly misleading information from my
fellow worker. As I am in my beginning days of working with time and dates,
persistence, and Glassfish I was already working with long values when I
interfaced with persistence and the database. Using long values I was not
getting the wrong data as I described it. Because I was seeing what
appeared to be discrepancies I was prone to believe the problems described
were the cause. I do apologize for that confusion. What has been said has
been very useful in learning more about using and establishing a baseline
that all dates may be established from and compared to.

Once I described to my fellow worker what I was doing and he looked at my
code he realized that how what he told me was misleading, and what the
actual problem he faced was; and what I thought was my problem.

What he had told me was when a Date object is passed as a temporal object
into persistence, persistence in turn converts the Date object to a long.
It is within this context, either Glassfish or toplink, apparently converts
the Date object to a long applying the system Timezone on which it resides.
Since I was already passing in a long I was not truly having the problem
described. The post from 'matterbury' suggested a user.timezone property
with Glassfish. I have searched for this without success. If someone
knows where this property may be accessed, please let me know.

The problem with the Date object conversion to a long by Glassfish or
toplink still exists. If you have experience in this area, please help.

Thank you.