users@glassfish.java.net

How are sessions stored? How many can be stored? Potential repercussions?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 19:33:37 PDT

We want to implement a "Remember Me" checkbox on our login form which would set that user's session to not timeout. I figured we can do this with request.getSession().setMaxInactiveInterval(-1);

My question is this: If we're creating 50K sessions a day, and we set them all to never timeout...
- Where and how are they stored?
- What problems might we encounter doing this?
- If they are stored in memory, could memory consumption be a problem? If so, is there a way to configure where they are stored (e.g. store 5000 in memory and the rest on disk, or in a DB)?
- If they stored on disk, could I/O be a problem?

For reference, I am not interested in session replication right now. I just haven't been able to find much information on session management beyond the basic timeout value.

Thanks!
[Message sent by forum member 'rwillie6' (rwillie6)]