users@glassfish.java.net

GlassFish on OpenSolaris - Installation and Update

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 04:17:30 PDT

Dear all,

starting out from a "default LiveCD" installtion, I am trying to find out what is the best way to install GlassFish 2.1 Final on OpenSolaris. It seems there are two options:

1.) Use the package Manager to install "glassfishv2" (incl. all dependencies). However, the version installed is "2.01-b09", so updating the version to 2.1.1-b60 is required.

2.) Do a completely manual installation of GF 2.1.1-b60 (downloading the .jar, downloading & installing all the dependencies, etc.) - this seems rather tedious to me. Also, the SMF functionality seems to be missing this way.

While I find #1 a lot easier, I am wondering why essential tools like the "update center" are missing after installation. Is there a way to install GF with all the usual tools using OpenSolaris package Manager?

Also, what would be the correct steps to update to b60 afterwards? What I tried is:
1.) downloading the .jar
2.) installing it
3.) disabling the service via SMF
3.) moving folders / symlinks around
4.) go through the asupgrade procedure to reuse installed domains
5.) enabling the service via SMF

Did anybody have the same questions? I would greatly appreciate if you could share your experience with me.

Best regards,
Jan Lagerpusch
[Message sent by forum member 'jlagerpusch' (jlagerpusch)]