users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Cluster session replication not working

From: Satyajit Tripathi <Satyajit.Tripathi_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 14:00:15 +0530
Hi JRobey,

I went through your email trail. If you have still not got an answer, I recommend you to look through the preso GlassFish V2ur2 Clustering - Simplified.
I have done the setup multiple times and would be happy to help you. Let me know.

NOTE: I will be conducting free web technology-sessions for the community on topics like GlassFish. If you would be interested in attending one, drop me a Comment through my blog. Specify your Location & Timezone and a preferred hour ?
Also let me know if would be
interested in hearing about any specific topics. I will soon be publishing the Session calendar on my blog. Stay tuned.

Thanks & regards
--Satya

glassfish@javadesktop.org wrote:
Thanks for the tips.  We have deployed several applications on a developer profile machine.  I now have 5 X4100s, 3 of which I am using to configure this cluster profile.  I am getting a quote from sun today for support and will be trying to get that handled by either this or next month.  All my systems are on the same subnet and can see each other.  Looking at the switch they are on, the VLAN appears setup correctly with multi-cast working.  All the cluster instances are registered on the cluster multi-cast IP and show active traffic.  I am moving my load balancing from Apache2.2 to our f5 BigIP system and will have my sys ops folks follow the article by Prashanth Abbagani on that one.  I don't expect this to help my session replication.

Install process I followed:
1) Download latest v2ur2
2) Ensure all machines running jdk 1.6_u10
3) move install bundle to JWS5, my DAS target and run the java extract
4) Edit the setup-cluster.xml file with my prefered port and domain settings ensuring that the cluster profile is selected
5) Run ant -f setup-cluster.xml
6) Copy required tomcatlibs to glassfish/lib so mod_jk will work
7) Start the DAS
8) Create a new cluster with 0 instances
9) Copy and install glassfish bundle onto JWS2, JWS3, JWS4
10) Copy setup-cluster.xml and update Node Agent name to JWS2, JWS3, JWS4
11) Run sudo lib/ant/bin/ant -f setup-cluster.xml create-node-agent -Ddas.host="blnmtdc5svjws" on JWS2, JWS3, JWS4
12) Run sudo asadmin create-instance --host blnmtdc5svjws --port 4848 --nodeagent JWS3NA --cluster BresnanCluster JWS3A on JWS2, JWS3, JWS4
13) Run sudo asadmin create-instance --host blnmtdc5svjws --port 4848 --nodeagent JWS3NA --cluster BresnanCluster JWS3B on JWS2, JWS3, JWS4
14) Run sudo asadmin start-node-agent --syncinstances=true JWS3NA on JWS2, JWS3, JWS4
15) Log into the DAS and ensure node agents have connected properly and are named right (JWS2NA, JWS3NA, and JWS4NA for the three servers) and the instances started up ok
16) Add the right properties to each instance following the template:
Set for the cluster:
asadmin create-jvm-options --target BresnanCluster "-DjvmRoute=\${AJP_INSTANCE_NAME}"
asadmin create-jvm-options --target BresnanCluster "-Dcom.sun.enterprise.web.connector.enableJK=\${AJP_PORT}"

Set for each instance:
asadmin create-system-properties --target instance9 AJP_INSTANCE_NAME=instance9
asadmin create-system-properties --target instance9 AJP_PORT=8020
17) Restart the cluster
18) Copy jar for clusterjsp and one of my internal apps to home dir on JWS5
19) Deploy using the following:
sudo asadmin deploy --target BresnanCluster --precompilejsp=true --verify=true --enabled=true --availabilityenabled=true clusterjsp.ear
20) Restart the domain: sudo asadmin stop-domain / sudo asadmin start-domain
21) Examine instance logs to make sure clustering comms are working and the instances/nodes see each other
22) Examine switch snooping on VLAN traffic verifying all node agents are listed in the broadcast domain and talking.

So far everything looks good but session data will not persist.  I read one comment where the memory replication feature uses a slightly different cluster than the raw domain cluster of glassfish instances.  I'm wondering if there is some other configuration point or debug handle for that subsystem.  I've read through the cluster profile memory replication pdf/slide show and it looked liked they wanted to make it so there were no additional configuration points.  Everything mentioned on the slide show, I have done, so I'm not sure where else to go.
[Message sent by forum member 'jrobey' (jrobey)]