users@glassfish.java.net

Clustered Timer Service Behavior

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 14:37:27 PST

I've read that EJB timers can be clustered in Glassfish by configuring a central database for the timer state; however, it is not clear to me how the timer service behaves in a cluster. Does the timer service run only on a single "master" node in the cluster such that the timer callbacks are executed on 1 cluster instance only, or is the timer service distributed such that callbacks are balanced across nodes in the cluster? Either way, I assume a timer expiration only occurs once across the cluster so we don't have the same timer callback invoked more than once across the cluster, right?

I'd appreciate any feedback or pointers to documentation explaining how the EJB Timer Service works in a Glassfish cluster. Thanks in advance!
[Message sent by forum member 'tmjkeeney' (tmjkeeney)]