users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Grizzly consumes 100% CPU in SelectorThread.doSelect if client

From: Jeanfrancois Arcand <Jeanfrancois.Arcand_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 20:47:50 -0500

Salut,

glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:
>> Salut,
>>
>> looks like you are facing another bug with the JDK,
>> as my previous
>> observation was with Linux. Are you able to reproduce
>> the issue?
>>
>> There is a JDK issues on Solaris that will be fixed
>> in jdk7 (and
>> eventually 6 but will take awhile). If we want to
>> escalate the fix, I
>> probably need a test case that demonstrate the
>> problem.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> -- Jeanfrancois
>

> Thanks for your help looking into this. A few things:
>
> 1) We know it's happening because the load goes up to 2 or 3 and sits there until we restart the application. It seems harmless (i.e. maybe just taking up CPU cycles...but not that bad....) but it is making some people nervous :-)

I agree.

> 2) Reproduce no, but it happens pretty often. I would say it occurs (on our three systems) about 3 or 4 times a week.

Grrrr. This is really a JDK issues as a spinning Selector shouldn't
never happens normally. Can you file an issue here:

https://glassfish.dev.java.net/servlets/ProjectIssues

I will try to comes with a patch that workaround the issue. I know how
to workaround it, but I don't like patching JDK bugs in Grizzly. If you
can try the patch, at least I will be able to share the information with
the JDK team.

  If you have ideas on how to capture more info, let me know. I'd be
willing to try them (or at least ask about trying it). This system gets
100k hits per day easily so knowing what triggers it is difficult, and
it happens at odd hours (not necessarily peak times).

Let me work on a workaround that might not end up in GF, but at least
can be temporary be used until the JDK get fixed. So far the fix will
first go in JDK 7, then 6 (so will take a while, unfortunalty).

> Let me know what you need and I'll try to accommodate.

Just file the issue describing the problem, and I will work on a patch
as soon as possible.

A+

-- Jeanfrancois