users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Mapping MDB to Activation Spec?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 06:37:56 PDT

Hi Siva, thank your for your answers;

> Yes, the resource-adapter-mid element must point to
> the module name of the resource adapter archive
> deployed in that particular target instance.

Ok, I don't see why this is required but we could handle this by defining naming conventions for the swiftmq resource adapter(s).

> Activation configuration properties like
> destinations, username,
> password which may be need to be overridden during
> deployment time can also be placed in
> sun-ejb-jar.xml. The
> activation-config values specified in sun-ejb-jar.xml
> will
> override the values placed in ejb-jar.xml.

The sun-ejb-jar.xml is packaged in the ear archive, is there a way to overwrite values at deployment type (using the asadmin scripting interface)?

> Just to clarify, the value specified for a
> destination is usually
> the JNDI name of a connector resource. The connector
> resource
> in turn points to the actual destination. So when you
> are moving across
> deployment targets (from testing to production), your
> asadmin
> scripts that creates the connector resources could
> modify the actual
> Destination pointed by the connector resource with no
> change needed
> in the application.

This could help, but I can't see how i must declare the destination (the jndi-name for the connection resource) in the ejb-jar.xml or sun-ejb-jar.xml, and I dont see how i must declare the destination (the real queue name for inbound traffic) at connector connection pool level. Do you have a small example?

> I do agree that changing usernames and passwords
> are a problem. Again if all your connection factories

Username and Password are set at Connector Connection Pool level, so I think there is no problem...

> Unfortunately GlassFish does not yet have a mechanism
> externalize activation spec configuration information
> (in JNDI/elsewhere).
> The only way out today is to swap out sun-ejb-jar.xml
> when you move
> from one deployment target (test) to another
> (production).

Will this ever be available in Glassfish? To reference an activation spec which can be administered by the AS Admin is the only way to install the same software without changes on different systems (Development, Test, Integration, Production, Education whatever)....

Thank you very much...

Ivo
[Message sent by forum member 'jdrive' (jdrive)]