users@glassfish.java.net

Scalability of Glassfish v2/v3

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 06:37:56 PDT

Hi,

despite the clustering capabilities of the java application servers of almost all vendors, there are many additional clustering products available (implementing distributed caching and other mechanisms). Successful products like oracle coherence, terracotta and gigaspaces also advocate their products for the use with Java EE applications.

This is why I am wondering how vast the extend of the Glassfish scalability capabilities is.

Is Glassfish only intended to be used for rather small scale clustering?
Or is it indeed feasable to use Glassfish for the clustering of hundreds of application servers?

I am worried because most Java EE applications are developed for enterprise environments, i.e. they need enterprise infrastructure features (like transactions, etc.) but not necessarily insane scaling capabilities, as most of these apps are used in-house.

Are there any examples where Glassfish is used for the clustering of really huge websites like e-bay, amazon, or something like that?

Thanks you so much!

regards,
mike
[Message sent by forum member 'mike934' (mike934)]