users@glassfish.java.net

Re: How to stop EJB timers being deleted upon app undeployment

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 13:31:12 PDT

Thanks Ken,

Just to clarify something, the reason I wanted the timers preserved is because I find myself having to "undeploy and redeploy" fairly often (typically from Netbeans). This is partly because Netbeans is somewhat unreliable in the way it deploys. I've since found a way to make netbeans behave a bit better, but still, I believe the life cycle and mgt of timers should definitely be consistent with other app data, especially since they are tied to EJBs - they should live and die strictly with those EJBs, therefore under control of the persistence unit. As to scalability, I don't know what to expect from the container timers, but their granularity is certainly much finer than I want - I only need to check every 15 minutes or so. Anyway, I don't want to risk having to temporarily undeploy again some day, or if I want to move my app to a different server, etc - so I have to control the data in a single db with consistent life cycle. If my timers don't scale I might reconsider, but I expect they will scale very well. I'll let you know if I come up with any interesting stats on this.

Mark
[Message sent by forum member 'mrawl' (mrawl)]