users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Anybody knows how SourceForge counts Downloads? (Completed vs Attempted?)

From: Eduardo Pelegri-Llopart <pelegri_at_sun.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2008 08:20:07 -0700

That address bounced. I looked at their wiki site and only see [1],
which does not clarify my question. Given the use of mirrors, I suspect
they are only counting "attempted", but it would be useful to know.

[1]http://alexandria.wiki.sourceforge.net/Statistics#tocStatistics9

re: market share - I used to find the Evans Data surveys useful in
tracking market share, and they show steady GF growth from 2004-2005 on,
but the surveys are published infrequently and they are lagging by at
least a year, and a year is a looong time nowadays.

Anecdotally, based on our customer wins and talking with users, the
gains are across the board. We see people switching from smaller
vendors that have had trouble keeping up, from established but ever more
expensive software, like BEA/Oracle and IBM, from JBoss (the JBoss 5
delay has helped), from Tomcat and Jetty. We expect GFv3 to continue
the expansion into the lower-end: almost as small as TC, but can expand
into a full JavaEE server.

We are trying to get more adoption stories into our stories blog.
Unfortunately the larger the company the longer it takes to get their
approval. See http://blogs.sun.com/stories.

        - eduard/o