users@glassfish.java.net

Migrate2glassfish fails to 'just work' when migrating from Websphere v5.1

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 09:18:57 PDT

I have been able to ascertain that there is a single web application EAR, but that this EAR is dependent upon 3 other EJB modules - each having their own EAR and JARs. There are a number of JAR files repeated within each of the EJB folders - and I assume this is for loading or deploying just that module alone. As an initial task, I copied all the files into a test area, extracted all the Websphere EAR files (so I can see what's there) into it's own area, and then ran the <b>Migrate2glassfish</b> utility on each EAR. The primary application EAR migrated successfully. None of the EJB EARs were successful - all failed with "Found but could not migrate unsupported, proprietary class(es)". There are a consistent set of classes that are "unsupported":<br />
&nbsp;&nbsp; - com.ibm.ejs.container.*<br />
&nbsp;&nbsp; - com.ibm.websphere.csi.CSIServant<br />
&nbsp;&nbsp; - com.ibm.websphere.csi.TransactionalObject<br /><br />

I have not successfully completed any experiment in deploying any of the EJB modules alone. And, in an attempt to troubleshoot, I found I cannot even load any of the migrated EARs into Eclipse to look - getting an error message that there is no module in the application.xml of each I try to import. Apparently, it seems that Eclipse recreates the application.xml during the import process and the re-created file does not have the module tag definition - yet, if I extract the migrated EAR (even ones that failed to migrate some files) I see the correct module tag and JAR definition. Now, to be fair, I am having the same behavior trying to import a non-migrated EAR into Eclipse - but I kind of expect that, since I don't have access to nor have Eclipse configured to "see" a Websphere app server. Though this makes me wonder if I'm overlooking something fundamental - along the lines of not seeing the forest due to all the trees in the way.<br /><br />

Da Lizard
[Message sent by forum member 'loungelizard' (loungelizard)]