users@glassfish.java.net

mutex spinning with glassfish under load

From: Russ Petruzzelli <Russ.Petruzzelli_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 20:00:28 -0700

Hello,

I'm looking for some suggestions for debugging a problem...

Under load (not much load IMO), our web-app on glassfish U1, generates a
lot of cpu mutex contention activity.
smtx=spin on mutex (lock not acquired on first try) >> a bad thing in
general.

My throughput drops dramatically when this happens. The appserver is on
an 32 cpu T1000 running solaris 10. Attached is one snapshot of mpstat
for a five second period.

For this snapshot, I calculate a total of 464,050 mutex spins across 32
cpu's in 5 seconds. That's 14,501 per cpu on average, in 5 seconds. Or
92,810 spins per sec overall.

Seems like a lot to me.

Thanks,
Russ