users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Technical Prezo - OSGi Intro and Overview

From: Richard S. Hall <heavy_at_ungoverned.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 17:58:09 -0400

glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:
> The Spring Application Platform is OSGi for the sake of OSGi. It's for those who want to write straight on top of OSGi. But, frankly, as nice as OSGi is, I think it's a bit premature to be bailing on JEE, or even "raw" Spring, for something like OSGi for mainstream, back office applications. It's simply not mature enough yet, and really doesn't offer anything save nice sticker you can put in your car window. "Ooh, look I use OSGi!".
> [Message sent by forum member 'whartung' (whartung)]

Keep in mind, programming for the Spring Application Platform is not
even close to programming raw OSGi. The Spring Application Platform is
raw Spring Dynamic Modules, which is a mapping of the Spring
bean/component model to OSGi technology. It bares very little
resemblance to raw OSGi, if any at all. It is more comparable to efforts
like OSGi Declarative Services or Apache Felix iPOJO...all of which are
attempts to hide raw OSGi to some degree or the other.

-> richard