users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Using Sun's Migration Tool...

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 13:42:11 PDT

For an example of how I migrated a WebSphere app to GlassFish see
The general process is :
<ul>
    <li>run the war file through GlassFish verifier tool. You can find the verifier tool in the GlassFish distribution. &lt;gf-install&gt;/bin. The verifier has proven to be a useful tool in migration and catches issues related to URL patterns, packing issues for e.g. </li>
    <li>Migrate the WebSphere specific deployment descriptors and configuration files to GlassFish deployement descriptors. The GlassFish specific deployment descriptors are documented in <a href="http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-3673/beaqi?a=view">http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-3673/beaqi?a=view</a> . The migration tool on migrate2glassfish.dev.java.net site can help in migration of deployment descriptors but it supports older versions of the application servers.</li>
    <li>Check the <a href="http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=M2GMigrationGuide">http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=M2GMigrationGuide</a> for known WebSphere -&gt; GlassFish migration issues. I update and maintain this guide as more issues become known. So, if you encounter a migration issue not yet documented, please consider adding to the migration guide or at least post to this forum, so I can link to the migration guide. This would benefit the GlassFish community.</li>
    <li>Instead of a war file, you can use an exploded directory (i.e. in a format you would get for e.g. by unjarring a war/ear file). </li>
</ul>
[Message sent by forum member 'sekhar' (sekhar)]