users@glassfish.java.net

Re: CPU always 100%

From: Chris Fleischmann <Chris.Fleischmann_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 07:14:30 +1000

Just a quick message on the differences between hard and soft limit's:

them. Soft limits are the user
defaults, and users can change that using the ulimit program or the
limit/unlimit builtins.

man setrlimit(2)

Basically, soft limits can be changed to anything up to the hard limit.

Think of soft limits as the warning barrier. When a user reaches the
soft limit they will get an warning message but are still allowed to use
more space up to the hard limit. Also, you can configure the system to
set expiration times for users who have exceeded their soft limit.

Perhaps on your system there is something else consuming your allowable
system file descriptors?

Good luck,

Chris